[JPL] Soulandjazz.com - Swing #11: "The Duke & The Count"

Jazzevangelist scott at soulandjazz.com
Mon Mar 12 20:05:17 EDT 2012

Soulandjazz.com Presents:
Swing! #11 - "The Duke & The Count"

Welcome to another episode of my monthly show called Swing! – and for this episode we will be delving into the realms of jazz royalty with a Count and a Duke – both of whom were actually Kings . . . of Swing, that is.

Here it is, ready to make you swing:  http://tinyurl.com/Count-Duke

When you think of the Swing Era, Count Basie & Duke Ellington are certainly two names that come to mind – but they’ve also been the subject of many debates over the years about style & genre, as well as questions as to how they differed, who was better, who swung harder, were they jazz or swing . . . and whether those two are the same thing.

To that end I give you about an hour of Duke and an hour of the Count – as well as a few songs featuring them both together – spanning their careers from the 20’s through the 60’s.

After listening to this two hour episode you will probably have your own opinions which I would love to hear! Please send your comments to Scott at Soulandjazz.com . . . or connect with me on Facebook & Twitter by searching for the Jazzevangelist.

Agape ya’ll,
J. Scott Fugate, ‘The Jazz Evangelist’

PLAYLIST - Swing! #11 - "The Count & The Duke"

Artist – Track – Album – Year

Duke Ellington & Count Basie - Battle Royal - First Time! The Count Meets The Duke - 1962
Duke Ellington & Count Basie - Wild Man - First Time! The Count Meets The Duke - 1962
Duke Ellington - East St. Louis Toodle-oo	 - Okeh Ellington - 1927
Duke Ellington and his Orchestra - Creole Love Call - Ellington ‘56 - 1956
Duke Ellington - The Mooche - Okeh Ellington - 1928
The Duke Ellington Orchestra - Mood Indigo - Digital Duke - 1987
Duke Ellington - Kinda Dukish - In The Uncommon Market - 1986
Duke Ellington and his Orchestra - In A Mellow Tone - Ellington ‘56 - 1956
Duke Ellington - Cotton Tail - Duke Ellington Presents… - 1956
Duke Ellington - In A Sentimental Mood - In The Uncommon Market - 1986
The Duke Ellington Orchestra - Do Nothin’ Till You Hear From Me - Digital Duke - 1987
Duke Ellington - Play The Blues And Go - Happy Reunion - 1985
Duke Ellington and his Orchestra - Stomp, Look & Listen - Historically Speaking: The Duke - 1959
Duke Ellington and his Orchestra - Stompy Jones - Historically Speaking: The Duke - 1959
Bennie Moten’s Kansas City Orchestra feat. Count Basie - Moten Swing - Bennie Moten’s Kansas City Orchestra (1929-1932): Basie Beginnings (Original – 1932) - 1992
Count Basie & His Orchestra - Jumpin at the Woodside - Ken Burns Jazz (Original – 1938) - 2000
Count Basie - The One O’Clock Jump - Compact Jazz: Count Basie Plays The Blues (Original – 1937) - 1987
Count Basie & His Orchestra feat. Lester Young - Lester Leaps In - Lester Leaps In - 1939
Count Basie & His Orchestra - Corner Pocket - April In Paris - 1957
Count Basie & His Orchestra - April In Paris - April In Paris - 1957
Count Basie & His Orchestra - Blues Backstage - Basie In London - 1956
Count Basie & His Orchestra - Sent For You Yesterday And Here You Come Today - Basie Jazz - 1952
Count Basie - Nasty Magnus - Basie’s Beat - 1963
Count Basie & His Orchestra - St. Louis Blues - Basie’s Beat - 1965
Duke Ellington & Count Basie - Take The A Train - First Time! The Count Meets The Duke - 1962

For more information on who we are and what we do:
http://www.soulandjazz.com/about/

Product may be submitted for airplay consideration to:

J. Scott Fugate
Soulandjazz.com
309 Oakland Drive
Gainesville, GA