[JPL] 2012 JAM poster choice

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Tue Mar 13 19:24:23 EDT 2012

I agree with Russ, it's a beautiful poster. I take issue for a  different
reason, though: since when did a caucasian crooner with little or  no
improvisational skills come to personify jazz? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big
Sinatra fan, and he can be played in a jazz-friendly environment; he was at home
at jazz festivals, he always performed with great jazz musicians. He had an
 appreciation for good jazz.

But I still have a hard time swallowing that he personified jazz.

I'm not sure I share Russ' concern about deceased vs. current  (relegating
jazz as a "museum piece"). One could argue that the symbol of JAM  should be
someone with a long legacy, lest we descend to a popularity contest
(Wynton, anybody? Or, to continue my original rant, Diana Krall?).

Grudgingly, I accept that a poster with such a recognizable person as
Sinatra might attract eyes to the art, and hopefully to the message. But, so
would a LeRoy Neiman rendition of Marilyn Monroe.

Off my soap-box,
Ed

In a message dated 3/13/2012 5:54:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,