[JPL] CONUNDRUM: 2012 JAM poster choice

onthebeach at aol.com onthebeach at aol.com
Tue Mar 13 20:58:50 EDT 2012

this is a bit of a conundrum.  the whole idea here is to create AWARENESS, and build the audience for jazz.
and as poster art, it is stunning, and a nice tip of the cap to 90 year old, life-long jazz fan
LeRoy Neiman.  given that Sinatra is such an icon, the cross-over appeal is substantial.

after all dont we want to draw the curious to our tent?   on the other hand,
given that jazz is such a broad spectrum of styles, who singly represents it?  i might vote for herbie
or chick, or pat metheny, because they play it all.  are they "recognizeable" enough?
as for Neiman, his Ellington image is amazing, as is the Bird & Diz he did in the mid 70's
(but  those play into the museum angle).  russ makes a good point.  but as a poster
hard to say it "stinks"(sorry Lois(.  and lest we forget Sinatra was a great supporter of jazz.

on the other hand, my favorite Neiman is the ( colors are electric) sax player done for the 1974 Newport Jazz
Festival.  Neiman lifts it far beyond the generic and it is EYE catching. (there's his solo Bird but not appropriate
for this campaign.  maybe JAM will use it next year?  its incredible. and it epitomizes JAZZ.

ricky schultz
thejazzconsultant.com