[JPL] 2012 JAM poster choice

Hudson, B.H. bhhudson at NCCU.EDU
Wed Mar 14 09:27:11 EDT 2012

Yeah, I always thought of ole' blue eyes as a chic swooning, pop phenom. with a great voice.

There are tons of African-American artists who should surely take precedence over Sinatra for jazz awareness. If you want to do a poster of a male vocalist with a big band, how about Joe Williams with Count Basie?

We will use the poster this year, but it is a regrettable choice. And so was Brubeck.
BH

-----Original Message-----
From: jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com [mailto:jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com] On Behalf Of EdBride at aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:24 PM
To: jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
Subject: Re: [JPL] 2012 JAM poster choice

I agree with Russ, it's a beautiful poster. I take issue for a  different
reason, though: since when did a caucasian crooner with little or  no
improvisational skills come to personify jazz? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big
Sinatra fan, and he can be played in a jazz-friendly environment; he was at home
at jazz festivals, he always performed with great jazz musicians. He had an
 appreciation for good jazz.

But I still have a hard time swallowing that he personified jazz.

I'm not sure I share Russ' concern about deceased vs. current  (relegating
jazz as a "museum piece"). One could argue that the symbol of JAM  should be
someone with a long legacy, lest we descend to a popularity contest
(Wynton, anybody? Or, to continue my original rant, Diana Krall?).

Grudgingly, I accept that a poster with such a recognizable person as
Sinatra might attract eyes to the art, and hopefully to the message. But, so
would a LeRoy Neiman rendition of Marilyn Monroe.

Off my soap-box,
Ed

In a message dated 3/13/2012 5:54:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,