[JPL] Past JAM poster artists

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Wed Mar 14 10:52:21 EDT 2012

I'd forgotten that Brubeck was on a poster; there goes my theory about only
 the deceased.

Embracing the new-and-hot is risky, because it suggests that the marketing
decisions might be a popularity contest, whereas they want iconic images.
Everybody knows Esperanza's name ("thanks, Grammy"), but would they
recognize  her visage? Same as with Herbie, and many other current legends.

As the exception, Brubeck was a household name a generation ago, and most
people could probably recognize his face, then as now.

It's fascinating that nobody has advocated for the most well-known  name in
jazz, Wynton Marsalis.

And so it goes,
Ed

In a message dated 3/14/2012 10:30:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,