[JPL] Past JAM poster artists

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Wed Mar 14 11:14:43 EDT 2012

I've been woefully ignorant of JAM since its inception.  Thanks for the
lowdown on its previous icons.

Does JAM make a damn bit of difference?  I lectured to two music
appreciation classes at a private liberal arts college in New England
yesterday.  There were 42 students in total, and not a single one had
ever heard of DUKE ELLINGTON.  Some of these kids had played in high
school jazz ensembles.  How is this possible?

I know I should know better by now, but I still find cultural illiteracy
of this kind shocking and demoralizing.

Tom

On 3/14/2012 10:17 AM, Arturo Gomez wrote:
> This is the 10th Anniversary of Jazz Appreciation Month. Here are the previous artists chosen for the poster
>
> 2012-Frank Sinatra
> 2011-Mary Lou Williams
> 2010-Dave Brubeck
> 2009-Benny Goodman
> 2008-Ella Fitzgerald
> 2007-Louis Armstrong
> 2006-Duke Ellington
> 2005-Tito Puente
> 2004-Artie Shaw
> 2003-Billie Holiday
> 2002-Dizzy Gillespie
>

> Arturo Gómez
> Music Director
> The Oasis In The City, The Front Range and the High Country!
> jazz89KUVO 89.3FM DENVER, 89.7FM BRECKENRIDGE, KVJZ 88.5FM VAIL
> Colorado's First HD FM Radio Station

Tom Reney

"Jazz à la Mode"
Monday-Friday, 8 - 11 p.m.