[JPL] Past JAM poster artists

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Wed Mar 14 12:11:18 EDT 2012

In a message dated 3/14/2012 11:15:36 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tr at wfcr.org writes:

<<..There were 42 students in total, and not a single one had
ever heard of DUKE ELLINGTON.  Some of these kids had played in high
school jazz ensembles.  How is this  possible?..>>

Malpractice on the part of the directors. They played in a jazz ensemble
and never performed anything by Duke? Yikes, you're right, shocking and
demoralizing.

JAM is supposed to make occurrences like this less likely. Clearly not
achieving that part of its mission; it may (or may not) be making the
already-appreciating more appreciative, makes the Smithy and Congress feel  good.

<<..I know I should know better by now, but I still find  cultural
illiteracy
of this kind shocking and  demoralizing..>>

Ditto,
Ed