[JPL] Ignorance of past greatness not limited to jazz

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 19:54:34 EDT 2012

I didn't hear of Duke or really any historically influential jazz artists until I was a senior in HS...and not from any of my teachers. I was though, very familiar with Beethoven, Bach and Mozart...by the time I hit 6th grade. In my view it seemed as though many American teachers were either selective in the history they chose to cover or simply didn't know the history themselves. It does bring up a point though and that is for me...Ellington was a significant enough figure in the history of American creationism to be included in the "American History" curriculum. That transcends black or music history requirements. Too often unfortunately that's not the case.

Jae Sinnett