[JPL] Ignorance about Jackie Robinson

Eric Jackson eric_jackson1 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 15 14:00:49 EDT 2012

On 03/15/2012 10:57 AM, EdBride at aol.com wrote:

Just a few minutes ago I was in a Chat on Facebook with a former music
teacher of mine. He was the Youth Choir Director at my church when I was
in Jr. High and he was my teacher and choir director when I was in Jr.
High. When I was in my second year in high school he transfered to that
school and he was again my teacher and choir director. The city of
Camden NJ offered a summer enrichment class in music for several years
and he had the same position there. I have always been grateful to him
for having taught me so much about music.

In my house, when I was growing up, we listened to a lot of jazz. If my
father was home, generally we couldn't listen to any other music in the
living room. If we wanted to hear something else when he was around, we
would have to listen in our bedrooms. I was trying to remember if we
listened to jazz in school but I really can't remember. Maybe it's
because jazz was something that I listened to regularly so I didn't
think it was a big deal to listen to it in school. I do remember that we
had pictures of jazz musicians on the walls of our classroom. In jr
high, one of our teachers led a jazz band and every year his band played
for us during one of the school assemblies.

I teach a class at Northeastern University called the African American
Experience Through Music. I used to be surprised at the artists that the
students didn't know but now I don't expect that they will know most of
the folks that I talk about. I am surprised when they do know someone!

Eric Jackson
WGBH Boston
Mon -Thurs 8 PM - Mid
Sunday 10 PM - Mid.