[JPL] at a loss for words

Larry Thomas lrt0393 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 15 15:23:07 EDT 2012

This image makes a great deal of sense to me.  As a historian, I have contended for years that music reflects what is happening, socially, politically and economically, in the black American community.  In 1959, blacks were on the advent of the black consciousness movement of the 1960s, and the music showed that.  Why else would Trane call the piece--"Giant Steps?"  Today, American culture is at its lowest point, at ease with vulgar, nursery rhymes, with a backward beat.  Trane's music is of the future, one that might take awhile for the masses to get with.  We are not quite ready for music like that again. It's too real, makes you think too much. I
have faith,one day in the near future we'll get there.  Cream always rises to the top.  The only thing I would have changed, would be: I
would have began with Charlie "Bird" Parker instead of John Coltrane. The 1953 recording with Bird on sax, Al Haig, piano; Percy Heath, bass and Max Roach, drums, is a better fit.  It's called "Now Is Time."