[JPL] at a loss for words

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 15:38:27 EDT 2012

Larry, where I take issue with this image is in the implication. We know that racism doesn't necessarily have to do with race. In many cases it's about abuse of power, privilege and interpretation. The implication of this image in my view, is that...we have a genius and his influence that follows has been relegated to a popular rap artist...as to imply the African American culture hasn't benefitted from Coltranes superior influence above popular mainstream mediocrity...in any context. It's what some would like to think and there in lies the rub...what perception some would like to create of a culture with misleading falsehoods and manipulative inuendo. Granted, we have much work to do but there is extraordinary talent in the African American community that has embraced Coltranes influence in very deep, spiritual, artistic and visionary ways...that transcends rap.

Jae Sinnett