[JPL] Playlist-Jazz with George Thomas on VPR with Charles Lloyd, Cecil Taylor, Bob Wilber for Thursday, 03/15/12

George Thomas gthomas at vpr.net
Thu Mar 15 23:11:05 EDT 2012

Jazz with George Thomas on VPR with Charles Lloyd, Cecil Taylor, Bob Wilber for Thursday, 03/15/12

We celebrate the birthdays of tenor saxophonist, composer & bandleader Charles Lloyd; pianist, composer & bandleader Cecil Taylor and alto sax player Bob Wilber. We hear the Charles Lloyd masterpiece, Forest Flower with solos from Keith Jarrett, Cecil McBee and Jack DeJohnette.

Playlist

9:00pm
Wouldn't It Be Loverly
Artist Name 	Lynne Arriale
Composer 	Lerner, Loewe
Soloists 	Lynne Arriale-Piano
CD/Album 	Solo
Record co./Cat # 	Motema Music 83
Release Year 	2012
Note 	New

9:06pm
Stardust
Artist Name 	Willie Nelson
Composer 	Hoagy Carmichael-Mitchell Parish
Soloists 	Willie Nelson-Vocals, Guitar
CD/Album 	Stardust
Record co./Cat # 	Columbia/Legacy 29087-2
Release Year 	1976

9:10pm
Moment's Noticed
Artist Name 	Hubert Laws
Composer 	John Coltrane
Soloists 	Hubert Laws-Flutes
CD/Album 	In The Beginning
Record co./Cat # 	CTI/Masterworks Jazz 88840-2
Release Year 	1974
Note 	New Reissue

9:17pm
El Chisme
Artist Name 	Celia Cruz & Ray Barreto
Soloists 	Celia Cruz-Vocals ; Ray Barreto-Conga
CD/Album 	The Latin Vogue - Sequence One
Record co./Cat # 	Charly 229
Release Year 	1990

9:23pm
Tales Of Rumi
Artist Name 	Charles Lloyd
Composer 	Charles Lloyd
Soloists 	Charles Lloyd-Tenor Sax ; Zakir Hussain-Tabla ; Eric Harland-Drums
CD/Album 	Sangam
Record co./Cat # 	ECM 1976
Release Year 	2008
Note 	Birthday: Charles Lloyd 3.15.1938

9:35pm
It Had To Be You
Artist Name 	Ehud Asherie with Harry Allen
Composer 	I. Jones
Soloists 	Harry Allen-Tenor Sax ; Ehud Asherie-Piano
CD/Album 	Upper West Side
Record co./Cat # 	Positone 8092
Release Year 	2012
Note 	New

9:40pm
Ruby, My Dear
Artist Name 	Thelonious Monk
Composer 	Thelonious Monk
Soloists 	Coleman Hawkins-Tenor Sax ; Thelonious Monk-Piano
CD/Album 	Thelonious Monk With John Coltrane - The Complete 1957 Riverside Recordings
Record co./Cat # 	Riverside 2-30027-2
Release Year 	1957

9:46pm
Calling For Casey
Artist Name 	Dudley Owens / Aaron Wright Band
Composer 	Aaron Immanuel Wright
Soloists 	Dudley Owens-Tenor Sax ; Aaron Immanuel Wright-Bass
CD/Album 	People Calling
Record co./Cat # 	Origin Records 82611
Release Year 	2012
Note 	New

9:54pm
Walkin' My Baby Back Home
Artist Name 	Dave McKenna
Composer 	Fred Ahlert, Roy Turk
Soloists 	Dave McKenna-Piano
CD/Album 	Giant Strides
Record co./Cat # 	Concord Jazz 4099
Release Year 	1979

10:00pm
Forest Flower-Sunrise, Forest Flower-Sunset
Artist Name 	Charles Lloyd
Composer 	Charles Lloyd
Soloists 	Charles Lloyd-Tenor Sax ; Keith Jarrett-Piano ; Cecil McBee-Bass ; Jack DeJohnette-Drums
CD/Album 	Forest Flower/Soundtrack
Record co./Cat # 	Rhino 71746
Release Year 	1966
Note 	Birthday: Charles Lloyd 3.15.1938

10:18pm
I Should Care
Artist Name 	Christian McBride Big Band
Composer 	Axel Stodahl, Paul Weston, Sammy Cahn
Soloists 	Christian McBride-Bass
CD/Album 	The Good Feeling
Record co./Cat # 	Mack Avenue 1053
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

10:25pm
Plaza Real
Artist Name 	Wallace Roney
Composer 	Wayne Shorter
Soloists 	Wallace Roney-Trumpet
CD/Album 	Home
Record co./Cat # 	HighNote 7218
Release Year 	2012
Note 	New

10:35pm
Things Ain't What They Used To Be
Artist Name 	Cecil Taylor & Buell Neidlinger
Composer 	Mercer Ellington
Soloists 	Cecil Taylor-Piano ; Archie Shepp-Tenor Sax ; Steve Lacy-Soprano Sax
CD/Album 	The Complete Candid Recordings Of Cecil Taylor & Buell Neidlinger
Record co./Cat # 	Mosaic 4-127
Release Year 	1961
Note 	Birthday: Cecil Taylor 3.15.1929

10:45pm
I've Got To Live The Life I Sing About In My Song
Artist Name 	Don Byron New Gospel Quintet
Composer 	Thomas A. Dorsey
Arranger 	Don Byron
Soloists 	Don Byron-Clarinet ; DK Dyson-Vocals
CD/Album 	Love, Peace, And Soul
Record co./Cat # 	Savoy Jazz 17858
Release Year 	2012
Note 	New

10:54pm
Limbo Jazz
Artist Name 	Bob Wilber & Dick Hyman
Composer 	Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn
Soloists 	Bob Wilber-Alto Sax ; Dick Hyman-Organ
CD/Album 	A Perfect Match
Record co./Cat # 	Arbors Jazz Records 19193
Release Year 	1998
Note 	Birthday: Bob Wilber 3.15.1928

Jazz In The Evening with George Thomas
Vermont Public Radio