[JPL] at a loss for words

Hudson, B.H. bhhudson at NCCU.EDU
Fri Mar 16 09:26:07 EDT 2012

And I would have loved to have seen Bird on the JAM poster this year, instead of Sinatra. I can't use the Sinatra poster to help spread the word.

A lot of smart, creative people look at this list. What, as a group, can we say on a local and national level to non music/thinkers that jazz is fun, and worth listening to. I would love to have an image phrase to help people think of jazz in a positive way, instead of the uneducated, incorrect take most people have.

Your thoughts?
BH

-----Original Message-----
From: jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com [mailto:jazzproglist-bounces at jazzweek.com] On Behalf Of Larry Thomas
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:23 PM
To: jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
Subject: RE: [JPL] at a loss for words

This image makes a great deal of sense to me.  As a historian, I have contended for years that music reflects what is happening, socially, politically and economically, in the black American community.  In 1959, blacks were on the advent of the black consciousness movement of the 1960s, and the music showed that.  Why else would Trane call the piece--"Giant Steps?"  Today, American culture is at its lowest point, at ease with vulgar, nursery rhymes, with a backward beat.  Trane's music is of the future, one that might take awhile for the masses to get with.  We are not quite ready for music like that again. It's too real, makes you think too much. I
have faith,one day in the near future we'll get there.  Cream always rises to the top.  The only thing I would have changed, would be: I
would have began with Charlie "Bird" Parker instead of John Coltrane. The 1953 recording with Bird on sax, Al Haig, piano; Percy Heath, bass and Max Roach, drums, is a better fit.  It's called "Now Is Time."

Sponsorship information: jplsponsor at jazzweek.com