[JPL] at a loss for words

Desert Island Jazz desert.island.jazz at verizon.net
Fri Mar 16 10:48:04 EDT 2012

Gentlemen:

I think it's important to provide a mix of older classic jazz recordings
with new releases, to give the listeners some semblance of the evolution of
jazz.  Hopefully, he/she will more fully appreciate today's recordings when
there is some knowledge of what went down before.  Plus, some of the older
recordings are timeless classics that never seem to age (thinking of Mingus
and Gerald Wilson as I write this).

Jazz is such an emotional music, conjuring up thoughts ranging from pure joy
to blue sadness.  I don't think the general population today knows how much
variety exists within the genre; because of this, it's hard to come up with
one image phrase that will 'say it all'.  I have been using "America's Art
Form" on air, but would love to have something more descriptive and catchy.

Please keep your thoughts coming.

Dave May
Desert Island Jazz
WHFC and Pure Jazz Radio