[JPL] Why Americans Don't Like Jazz....

Mark Hayes mark.e.hayes at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 12:18:00 EDT 2012

Good day, all --

Having read the article in question, I have to fall in with Larry.  The
article makes a number of assumptions that I would take issue with. There's
a difference, for example, between taste and aesthetics. There's a huge
assumption in writing, of non-English speaking listeners, that "Singers
turn into just another musical instrument."  I also take great issue with
the notion that "to be able to enjoy instrumental music, you must be able
to appreciate abstract art."  While there aren't a lot of instrumental
tunes that become big hits, "Green Onions" is as abstract any one of a
thousand pop songs.

While I might agree that the mighty mainstream of American culture can be
lowbrow at times, I would disagree that there's anything exceptional about
American taste in music -- for better or worse.  The pop charts in many
countries are filled with "lowbrow" fare.  Whatever is meant by lowbrow, of
course.   Me, I appreciate a good pop song in any language.  But that's my
taste -- what I like. Aesthetics, which I understand to more systematic and
philosophical, relates to how we define what is art -- or not.  But I would
say that popular music, with lyrics and vocal performances, can have an
aesthetics applied to it as well.

All in all, I think the article waded into waters too deep.

Best,

Mark

*www.markehayes.net* <http://www.markehayes.net/>

 <http://www.google.com/reader/shared/mark.e.hayes>