[JPL] Why Americans Don't Like Jazz....

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 20 12:59:10 EDT 2012

Mark, the assumption wasn't that singers just turn into instrumentalists. The writer's point IMO, was that when you're listening to vocals sung in a language you don't speak...it can literally have the same interpretation-al effect of say a saxophone solo. Texturally different yes but the same point of departure.  An instrumental solo often sounds to many like a foreign language. For me that's an interesting co-relation and I've taught from that perspective before and it does for me add to the reasoning that some non english speaking cultures can embrace instrumental music more easily than Americans. The voice becomes the horn or guitar...etc...in that context. What other way can you interpret it? He was saying that the majority of cultures listen to English speaking music...mainly in the pop arena... so considering the inability to discern what is being said the voice is literally another instrument...no different in them trying to understand a sax
 solo which becomes for the brain...abstract formulation...particularly with improvisation when it's a new listening experience. "Composed" music is planned and thought out and not nearly as abstract as spontanenous interplay.  It's abstract because no other music is played like jazz...with the level of interactive harmonic and rhythmic improvisation. None. So if your exposure has been limited to pop culture, yes jazz will be very abstract for your flabbers and brain to comprehend.

Jae Sinnett