[JPL] Why Americans Don't Like Jazz....

Bobby Jackson ftapache1 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 20 13:19:59 EDT 2012

Mark writes,
"There's a huge assumption in writing, of non-English speaking listeners, that  "Singers turn into just another musical instrument."

So you believe there is not a hint of truth to that assumption?  There are English speaking music listeners who never listen to the lyric of a song because they are in love with the melody and rhythm of it.  I know people who don't like instrumental music because they can't hear a lyric.  Everyone processes music differently.  To be totally dismissive of the writer's assumptions is folly.  The fact that the article has resonated with some of us gives it some credibility.  I am witnessing divergent thought on what the article says  so there is some validation going on whether you agree with it or not.  Although it's not scientifically researched evidence there are grains of truth through the writer's observation that should be considered.  Like Phoebe Snow once sang, "One man's high is another's waste...I'm only preaching 'cause I've had my taste..."  What may be low brow to someone may have major impact on another's ears because of the perspective and experience they bring to bear on whatever they're hearing.  I'm glad the writer took the chance to "wade in the water."  I think it is arrogant to be totally dismissive.  There is some value to what the writer offers.  Thanks for your point of view Mark.

Bobby Jackson
THE JAZZ MIND
www.thejazzmind.com
ftapache1 at sbcglobal.net