[JPL] Why Americans Don't Like Jazz....

merrillfla merrillfla at aol.com
Tue Mar 20 19:27:35 EDT 2012

I have read all these answers and I don't have an real answer.
Abstract this and that. I don't know from abstract formulations.When I was a teenager and went to the Royal Roost and Birdland and heard the Music I loved it. I remember going down the stairs to Birdland and Hearing Jackie Cain singing Euphoria and using a voice as a musical instrument and it moved me.You don't have understand the words to a song but you have to have a sense of rhythm.
Times have changed and what I hear now is to me is abnormal junk.
Maybe if they heard more of it they would like it? Most people today can't tell what musical instrument is soloing and don't care.
I sometimes think that we have made Jazz into something of a sophisticated form that if you are not a aficionado it's not for you.
I get calls and they like what I'm playing.If it sounds good I play it. It seems to be working

Melodious Mel Lipton
WDNA 88.9 FM in Miami