[JPL] Girls in The Band

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 14:49:23 EDT 2012

I interviewed the director Judy Chaikin when she premiered the film at
the Vancouver International Film Festival last fall, here's a link to
the playlist and some more info about the film:
http://vancouverjazz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4085

Highly recommended, some spectacular clips and interviews with members
of the International Sweethearts of Rhythm, Marian McPartland, Vi
Redd, Mary Lou Williams right up to Sharrie Maricle (Diva Jazz Orch),
Ingrid Jensen and Teri-Lynn Carrington.

It's been winning a few "festival favorites" for the last few
festivals that they've participated in. Last I heard the first run of
DVDs sold out but I think a new batch should be available soon.

Incidentally, her husband accompanied her to the studio (although he
was a silent partner throughout) - he's Jules Chaikin who used to play
trumpet with the Kenton and Gerald Wilson Orchestras besides doing a
fair amount of film work.

N.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 11:13 AM,  <louisx at myfairpoint.net> wrote:

> I don't know if this was mentioned before on this list, but I saw an
> extraordinary film last night called "Girls In The Band" about women jazz
> musicians. Well worth watching, with lots of performance footage.  More info
> is here: http://www.thegirlsintheband.com/home/

====
Nou Dadoun