[JPL] Joe Ciavardone, Rest In Peace

Paul Combs pcomb at comcast.net
Mon Mar 26 20:10:06 EDT 2012

Trombonist Joe Ciavardone passed away probably yesterday. He was a
veteran of several big bands including those of Ralph Martirie, Charlie
Barnet. Herb Pomeroy, Woody Herman, and Stan Kenton. He was with Pomeroy
for the Irene Kral "The Band And I" date for Capitol. He was Charlie
Mariano's room-mate when with Kenton, and was in that band during the
tour with Dizzy and Bird. Joe and I were starting to work on his memoire
and I hope to be able to salvage some of his eye-witness accounts of
jazz history. For now I am just sad to have lost a fine friend. Joe was
in his early eighties and is survived by his children and his sister.
More details as I have them.