[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Billy Hart & Raya Brass Band

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Thu Mar 29 09:40:32 EDT 2012

You can see a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter at http://bit.ly/HooqIy

...or read the text below:

March 29, 2012

Hello friends!

Hire Me: Anyone want to hire a charming, low-maintenance podcaster with
good communications skills? I know one. Here's his resume:
http://bit.ly/xX1CtF [PDF]

Nellie McKay review: I went to see a very subversive show last week
featuring singer/songwriter Nellie McKay using mostly Tin Pan Alley
music to tell the life story of environmentalist Rachel Carson. Here's
my review: http://bit.ly/GQG37T

Concert Note: Raya Brass Band (see show #359) is performing at a
fundraiser in NYC on 3/31/12 called the Balkan Shout Out. The event
starts at 8 p.m. at the Ukrainian National Home, 140 2nd Ave in
Manhattan. They're also on tour in April. Visit
http://www.rayabrassband.com/calendar/ for more information.

The Jazz Session Needs You: The show really needs your support. Please
become a member of The Jazz Session for as little as $10/month.
http://thejazzsession.com/join. The next two people who join at the
middle or top level will get Anthony Wilson's DVD/CD set Seasons. Do it!

An Open Letter To This American Life: You may be familiar with the TAL
episode featuring Mike Daisey's report on the labor abuses by Apple's
suppliers in China. TAL subsequently retracted that episode, and their
retraction was sadly anti-worker. My friends and I wrote an open letter
to This American Life, which you can read here: http://bit.ly/FPRKem

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
THIS WEEK ON THE JAZZ SESSION
*********************************

TJS #358: Billy Hart. Drummer Billy Hart’s new CD is All Our Reasons
(ECM, 2012). In this interview, Hart talks about the “European sound” of
this band; what he looks for in bandmates and why this band fits his
needs so well; and what he believes powered Coltrane’s musical
explorations. LISTEN: http://bit.ly/GMEMe9

TJS #359: Raya Brass Band. Raya Brass Band's new CD is Dancing On Roses,
Dancing On Cinders (2012). In this interview, four of the five members
of the band discuss its origins; the rhythmic underpinnings of Balkan
music; the uses of improvisation in their performances; and how a movie
caused one of the members of the band to quit his job and take up the
accordion. LISTEN: http://bit.ly/GZiSYY

Twitter: http://twitter.com/jasondcrane

RSS Feed: http://thejazzsession.com/feed/?category_name=podcast

iTunes: itpc://thejazzsession.com/?feed=rss2&category_name=podcast

--
Jason Crane
The Jazz Session
jason at thejazzsession.com