[JPL] PLAYLIST: “General Eclectic”, WCVF-FM, 3/3012 - In-Studio Guest, Andy Cohen

Tom Bingham mason2042 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 19:01:33 EDT 2012

*An old friend of over 30 years stopped by the Fredonia Radio Systems
studio today - ragtime and blues guitar icon Andy Cohen. You don’t really
“interview” Andy Cohen; you point him in a direction or two, then just sit
back and let him share his stories and life experiences, historical facts
and anecdotes, and thoughtfully-considered opinions. He also performed five
songs (I generally request three; this is in no way a complaint!). Live
radio being what it is, wouldn’t you know he broke a string soon after
beginning  Rev Gary Davis’ “Buck Dance”, starting over after a quick
repair. He even flipped his guitar around and about a few times - not sure
how that’s going to sound on the podcast! Someone really needs to sit this
fellow down and document his vast storehouse of lore! I’m just glad I got
about 45 minutes of Andy, which I hope to have on the “General Eclectic”
website in the not-too-distant future. To the list:

ArtOfficial - Low Level - Vitamins & Minerals

Tom Hitt - Outside and Smile - Glimpses

Jon Balke/Amina Alaoui - A La Dina Dina - Siwan

The Harpoonist and the Axe Murderer - Get Out - Checkered Past

Jennifer Jones - Colossians 3 - A Story of Longing

Oak Ridge Boys/Dukes of Dixieland - Unclouded Day - When Country Meets Dixie

Karen Dahlstrom - The Miner’s Bride - Gem State

Sunnie - Something For Nothing - Bohemian Sun

Laura Wetzler - Bar Yochai - Kabbalah Music: Songs of the Jewish Mystics

Paolo Fresu & Omar Sosa - Inverno Grigio - Alma

Runaway Express - Words Of Love/Listen To Me - Yeah, Buddy

Jason Adasiewicz’s Sun Rooms - Hi Touch - Spacer

Andy Cohen - live performances of
         Buck Dance (Re. Gary Davis)
        South Carolina Rag (Willie Walker)
         It Won’t Be Long Now - Frank Stokes
       Soo Cow (Memphis Minnie)
        Two Sleepy People (Hoagy Carmichael, performed in the style of Fats
Waller)

Jennifer Scott Trio - Agua De Beber - Dream A Little Dream

Teresa Christine - Se a Alegria Existe - Brazilian Playground (various
artists)

Billy Mitchell - Rollback - Detour (this one got the phones ringing!)

Jacob Deaton - Tribulation - Tribulation*
--
Tom Bingham
"General Eclectic" - streaming live at http://fredoniaradio.com/wcvf/ Friday